Tuesday, January 3, 2012

In the House of Memory: Ancient Celtic Wisdom for Everyday Life


Dave tells me that I am in with the in-crowd because for Christmas I got both of the top two best sellers on the New York Times list, Stephen King’s 11/22/63 which I actually got two copies of and so Dave returned one and got me Death Comes to Pemberley by P. D. James because I love Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. I like Jane Austen for her romances so I don’t know about this last one. We’ll see.

For returning to my job at Gig Harbor High School I chose to take In the House of Memory: Celtic Wisdom for Everyday Life, by Steve Rabey. This is one I bought for myself on my 60th birthday nearly a year ago and is not too big to lug all over the building. We’d gone to Victoria, B.C. and no visit there is complete without a visit to Monro’s Books. I hate to see the disappearance of book stores and was glad that the stately Monro’s is still in business and crowded. I guess I’m not the only one who loves physical books.

In the House of Memory explores Celtic spirituality from Ancient times to its influence on Christianity and a delight for anyone with spiritual or emotional ties to Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Many Americans, myself included, are of Celtic stock. Are we not more plentiful here than there? I’ve been interested in Ancient Celtic spirituality for some time—drawn on some sort of molecular level so this book will keep me well entertained at lunch and during breaks.

1 comment:

Lorraine Hart said...

Nice book Stephanie! We know quite a few people around the world who live with the Pagan Rituals of the Celtic world. Again, a people connected to nature and her rhythms. Every culture has it's history in being more connected to cycles of our seasons.

And...yaaay that Monro Books is still there...even though I still can't cross the border. xo