Saturday, June 29, 2013

Grandma Frieze's Pineapple Cookies
 
My granddaughters are to coming to visit on Monday so I’m making paternal grandmother’s pineapple cookies.  Going to visit Grandma Frieze meant pineapple cookies in the cookie jar.  I have such lovely memories of visiting her that I want to create those same sorts of memories for my own grandchildren.  Frankly, the cookies are pretty popular with the grownups so I’m making a double batch for the 4th of July week as family and friends gather to celebrate.  Grandma got the recipe out of a women’s magazine in the 1950s or ‘60s and the original is taped inside the front cover of her old Joy of Cooking which I inherited since my mother had given it to her in the ‘40s.  I’ve posted about these cookies before, but they are so delicious and perfect for these hot days that I thought I’d do it again.

Temp. 375           Time: 12 min      Yield: About 3 doz.

2 C. sifted enriched all-purpose flour                      1 egg

1 tsp. baking powder                                                      ½ tsp. vanilla extract

1 tsp. baking soda                                                            ½ C. drained canned crushed pineapple

1 tsp. salt                                                                             1 C. granulated sugar

½ C. shortening                                                                    1 T. granulated sugar

Heat oven.  Sift together first 4 ingredients.  Mix shortening and next 3 ingredients until creamy.  Mix in the pineapple, then flour mixture.  Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookies sheet (I use no stick spray just the same).  Sprinkle cookies with sugar.  Bake until golden.
These cookies are moist and keep well in a tightly closed container, although if your family knows where they are they won’t last long!

3 comments:

Janice said...

Love these too! It was always a challenge to take them out of the cookie jar without breaking as they tend to stick together...especially if put away warm.

Stephanie Frieze said...

It is a challenge to get them INTO the cookie job in the first place as they are very habit forming!

Jo said...

I can attest to the habit forming part. They are delicious! I am a pineapple lover, anyway, but these cookies are great. Thanks for reprinting the recipe, as I lost my other one. See you soon.