Friday, August 31, 2012

Commuter Marriage After the Fall
My commuter-husband Dave returned from AZ on Sunday evening hobbling on a hiking stick that he'd purchased after his fall on Granite Mt near Prescott, AZ.  Monday we were able to get him into Group Health Tacoma to be seen by an orthopedist who scheduled surgery for today, Friday.  Because I had already scheduled a series of medical maintenance appointments we have made too many trips to that building this week.  I will be glad when this week is over, but unhappy that the last of my summer break from school has been such a whirlwind of activity, much of it not fun.
We will have to see how Dave does with the surgery to reattach his right quad and his fancy new brace to see how much fun is in store for us, although I admit to being very, very happy to have my “running partner” back with me.  Over the last two plus years we had grown used to being in each other’s company a great deal and his removal to AZ to work had been felt keenly by both of us.  It is not as though I live in an empty house, but it is not the same without Dave.
Dave’s mother’s 90th birthday is coming up next week and her party is on Sunday.  Will a day be long enough to get him righted enough to attend?  I doubt it, but to miss celebrating his mom with his six brothers, five sisters-in-law and many nieces, nephews and his own grandchildren will be a great disappointment for both of us. We also have tickets to the Willie Nelson Show at the Puyallup Fair on the 7th which could become the fourth event that we have been unable to attend this summer.
My youngest son is coming for a ten day visit beginning Monday.  It will be nice to have an extra pair of hands to help care for Dave when I return to work on Tuesday so the entire load does not fall on daughter-in-law Ana.  Thank goodness she is a stay-at-home/home-schooling-mom!  I am sure that grandson Gabriel will be vying for Uncle Nadir’s time and wanting to walk down the road to our woodsy park.
I will be glad when the surgery and this week are over and we can focus on getting Dave better.  That will be bittersweet because when he is righted up he will be returning to AZ, not to come home until February of next year. I am resolved to just have to wring the most out of each day right now.

No comments: