Friday, August 17, 2012

Pineapple Cookies and an Anniversary


Tomorrow is my wedding anniversary and I am without the groom. Ours became a commuter marriage in June when Dave accepted a lucrative job offer in Prescott, AZ working for Lockheed Martin. Because of familial obligations and the fact that there is no ocean in AZ, I have remained behind in Gig Harbor, WA (and in Ilwaco at this moment), keeping the home fires burning as it were. The plan is for Dave to work until October 2013 when he will be old enough to collect Social Security. He is coming home for ten days in September, but his the 90th birthday of his mother trumps our 22nd anniversary so tomorrow will be somewhat sad for me. It is our first (and probably not our last) anniversary apart.

Not to worry. I will not be entirely alone. My daughter Amy is with me here at the beach and our friends Jo & Jon are arriving tonight for the weekend. We intend to go out for dinner at 42nd St. CafĂ© in Seaview to celebrate and today I indulged myself in another luxury for today I made pineapple cookies. I first blogged the recipe for these cookies three years ago, but I think they are worth another mention. My Grandma Frieze always had them in the cookies jar when we children came to visit and they are a favorite of mine and my cousins. They are tender and soft and the pineapple brings back memories of summers at Grandma’s. Unfortunately my own children never developed a liking for them and since I could eat them all on my own I do not often make them!

Although she has special needs, Amy does like to help me bake and because I do little of it any more she was willing to help this morning. Tomorrow we will fix up the table with the beautiful new French table cloth Dave sent me and then go out to dinner. At least it will stay clean this way!

Grandma’s Pineapple Cookies

Temp.: 375 degrees F. Time: 12 min (check after 10) Yield: About 3 dozen

2C sifted enriched all-purpose flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

½ C. soft shortening (I use margarine or butter)

1 C. granulated sugar

1 egg

½ tsp. vanilla extract

½ C. drained, canned, crushed pineapple

¼ tsp. nutmeg (this makes them taste different. Grandma never used it and neither do I)

1 T. granulated sugar

Heat oven. Sift together first 4 ingredients. Mix shortening and next 3 ingredients until creamy. Mix in pineapple, then flour mixture. Drop by teaspoonfuls 2” apart, onto ungreased cookie sheet. (I like to use a little no stick) Sprinkle cookies with nutmeg (optional) and sugar, combined. Bake until golden.



No comments: